Sunday, May 20, 2012
Paleo Chocolate Cake
I saw this recipe at Elana's Pantry and has been waiting for an occasion where I could bake a chocolate cake ! Perfect opportunity came today when my running coach invite us for a BBQ at his place.... Oh yes ! Time to bake a chocolate cake !
A perfect Paleo chocolate cake... I think it taste good.
For the frosting, I used the recipe from Lifefoodjourney Site . I replaced the coconut oil with grapeseed oil and my frosting could not set...BIG OPPPSS! But it still looks good !
¾ cup coconut flour, sifted
¼ cup cacao powder
1 teaspoon celtic sea salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
10 eggs 1 cup grapeseed oil
1 ½ cups agave nectar(I use honey)
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
¼ teaspoon orange zest(I omitted this)
1. In a small bowl combine flour, cacao, salt and baking soda
2. In a large bowl using an electric hand blender, blend eggs, oil, agave nectar, vanilla and orange zest
3. Add dry ingredients into large bowl and continue to blend
4. Oil (2) 9-inch cake pans and dust with coconut flour ( I used a single pan and bake it as a single layer cake)
5. Pour batter into pans and bake at 325° for 35-40 minutes
6, Remove from oven, allow to cool completely then remove from pans Frost and serve
For the Frosting
1 cup of cocoa powder
3/4 cup of virgin coconut oil
1/2 cup of honey ( I used one cup of honey)
dash or two of sea salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract (optional)
1. Gently melt the coconut oil in a saucepan (you don’t want to heat it, just melt it)
2. In a food processor, combine all of the ingredients and pulse until well combined.
3. Scrape into a small bowl and place in the freezer or refrigerator until it has hardened to desired consistency.