Monday, February 10, 2014

Slow Cooker Grass Fed Pot Roast

 
 
I am back finally... with the first recipe in 2014 ! If you are wondering where I have been.... I just started a new job and had been busy trying to get use to a new schedule. The Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Year holidays threw me off completely. I hardly have any time for myself with all the  parties.
 
I am so glad that that we are back to routine.
 
We made this slow cooker grass fed roast on Sunday. We have been using grass fed for a few weeks now and loving it. I have been wanting to try grass fed beef after reading all the benefits of grass fed vs grain fed beef. But it took us a while to jump into the wagon due to the cost factor. But we were so glad to make the switch. I finally have meat which taste like those in Singapore. I have always complained to the Hubby that the meat here taste "fake" and I could not understand why. I finally realized it when we make the switch to grass-fed. The hubby had a burger at Texas Land and Cattle last week and he texted me : "the meat taste fake". *smile*.. He finally understood what I meant :)
 
I took us a while to figure how to cook grass fed meat. Grass fed meat are leaner with less fats. They has to be cook with lower temperature. Basically. "low and slow".  The slow cooker is a good one to use. The roast we did on Sunday came out tender and moist and almost falling apart,
 
 
Ingredients:
4 pound arm roast
5 stalk of Celery
2 -3 carrot
one onion Chopped
1/2 cup of red wine
Salt
Pepper
Cajun Seasoning
Thyme
Tumeric powder
Coconut oil or bacon grease or olive oil or butter ( we use bacon grease)
 
 
Direction
1. Seasoned the roast liberally with salt, pepper, Cajun seasoning , thyme and turmeric powder.
 
2. Cut the celery, carrots into 2 inches pieces.
 
3. Lay the onion, carrot and celery on the bottom of the slow cooker
 
4. Heat a skillet and brown the roast on each side.
 
5. Lay the browned roast on top of the cut vegetables in the slow cooker
 
6. Cook low for 8-10 hours. We did 9 hours and it was perfect.
 
 
~bel~
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment