Saturday, July 2, 2011

Walnut Carrot Bundt Cake



Been a while since I last baked... blame it on laziness :)

I finally dug out my bakeware ( lucky .. no cobweb yet *phew*) today to do some bake. Its 4th July here and the running peeps are having yet another party.

I had been making chocolate cakes and I really hate chocolate. So I decided to bake something which I really like- Carrot Cake

I saw this recipe from Joy of Baking.. it look easy enough for a lazy baker like me The only tedious part is grating the carrot.... I HATE grating Carrot !!!!!!

I decided to bake this in my bundt so I can "do away" with cream cheese frosting. A simple sugar glaze will be nice on the bundt

Carrot Cake Recipe:

1 cup (100 grams) of walnuts or pecans ( I used walnuts)

3/4 pound (340 grams) raw carrots (about 2 1/2 cups finely grated)

2 cups (260 grams) all-purpose flour

1 teaspoon baking soda

1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder

1/2 teaspoon salt

1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon

4 large eggs

1 1/2 cups (300 grams) granulated white sugar

1 cup (240 ml) safflower,vegetable or canola oil (or other flavorless oil)

2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract

Direction :

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C) and place rack in center of oven.

2. Butter or spray two - 9 x 2 inch (23 x 5 cm) cake pan and line the bottoms of the pans with a circle of parchment paper. ( I use a bundt)

3. Toast the pecans or walnuts for about 8 minutes or until lightly browned and fragrant. Let cool and then chop coarsely.

4. Peel and finely grate the carrots.

5. In a separate bowl whisk together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and ground cinnamon.

6. In bowl of electric mixer (or with a hand mixer), beat the eggs until frothy (about 1 minute). Gradually add the sugar and beat until the batter is thick and light colored (about 3 - 4 minutes). Add the oil in a steady stream and then beat in the vanilla extract. Add the flour mixture and beat just until incorporated. (Oppps.. I forgot the vanilla... but it still taste as good)

7. With a large rubber spatula fold in the grated carrots and chopped nuts. Evenly divide the batter between the two prepared pans and bake 25 to 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.

8. Remove from oven and let cool on a wire rack. After about 5 -10 minutes invert the cakes onto the wire rack, remove the pans and parchment paper, and then cool completely before frosting.

For the cinnamon glaze

1. 1 cup of confectionery sugar- sifted
2. 2 tablespoon of buttermilk ( I do not have buttermilk.. and so I decided to use the normal milk ... of course.. buttermilk and milk are not the same. But it came out great)
3. 1 teaspoon of ground cinnamon

Mix until smooth, then refrigerate until thickened. Drizzle over cooled muffins.


This is really a simple recipe... try it :)

~bel~

No comments:

Post a Comment