Sunday, April 10, 2011

Chocolate Root Beer Bundt Cake


First Bake for the Year !!! Gosh I must have been really lazy. It is almost mid April and I am just doing my first bake for the year. Well, I have been battling with allergy and flare up on my face since Nov 2010. I had to avoid the heat from the oven to prevent flare up. My face just got better last few weeks and so here's my bake again :)
I have been eyeing this recipe for a while. I bought a bottle of root beer in January hoping to be able to try baking it. But had to wait till today due to the constant flare up on my face. Of course.. I had to go and buy another bottle of root beer since the one I bought in January has done really flat.

This is really an easy bake. No cake mixer. Just 3 bowls. The results is amazing.. a really moist and soft chocolate cake.

Ingredients

2 cups root beer (don’t use diet)
1 cup dark unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 cup unsalted butter (one stick)
1 1/4 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup dark brown sugar
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/4 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
2 large eggs

Directions
1. Preheat even to 325 degrees F. Spray the inside of a 10-inch Bundt pan with nonstick cooking spray, or butter generously and dust with flour, knocking out the excess.

2. In a small saucepan, heat the root beer, cocoa powder and butter over medium heat until butter is melted. Add sugars and whisk until dissolved. Remove from heat and let cool. ( I combine all the ingredents together and heat it gentle until the butter is melted)

3. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda and salt.

4. In a small bowl whisk the eggs until just beaten. Then whisk into the cocoa mixture until combined. Gently fold the flour mixture into the cocoa mixture. The batter will be slightly lumpy. You can give it a quick whisk if you like, but don’t over beat the batter or it could cause the cake to be tough. Don’t worry, the batter is very loose.

5. Pour the batter into prepared pan and cook for 35-45 minutes, rotating the pan halfway through baking until a sharp knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely then loosen edges with a butter knife and turn out onto a cake plate.

I sprinkled the cake with confectioners sugar for the finishing touch. The Joy of Baking page has a recipe for a root beer frosting which looks really awesome. I need to try it next time.

A double thumbup recipe !

~bel~

No comments:

Post a Comment