Tuesday, March 6, 2012

The Big Easy Jambalaya


Many of my running peeps were in Big Easy for the Rock and Roll Marathon this past weekend. The many pics of food which they posted on FB remind me of Jambalaya. My first taste of Jambalaya was in Nov last year when they BF made it.

I decided to try it today.... with some cheating>>>> by using a Jambalaya mix. I found an easy recipe on the brand website and decided to use it with some modification.

This is really an easy recipe.

Ingredients:
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
1 each medium green and yellow bell pepper, chopped
1 can (14 1/2 ounces) fire roasted or regular diced tomatoes, undrained
1 cup water
1 package ZATARAIN'S® Reduced Sodium Jambalaya Mix
1 pound chicken breast
1 package (12 ounces) smoked sausage, cut into 1/4-inch slices. ( I could not find andouille saugage)

Direction

1. Heat oil in large deep skillet or 5-quart Dutch oven on medium heat. Add onion and bell peppers and chicken breast cook and stir 7 minutes or until the chicken is cooked

2. Stir in tomatoes, water and Jambalaya Mix. Bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium-low; cover and simmer 15 minutes.

3. Stir in sausage. Cover and cook 10 minutes longer or just until rice is cooked Remove from heat. Let stand 5 minutes. Sprinkle with parsley, if desired.


Verdict : Somehow my rice is not fluffy as it should be. It is somewhat sticky. I am not really good at making rice over stove top ! I will use the spicier version of the mix next time and be use rotel hot tomato instead of the regular tomato

~bel~

No comments:

Post a Comment